here’s a post I dedicate to all business owners to know how to set up and optimize their WordPress site to it’s optimal state prior to launch. It’s most struggles that businesses are just launching site thinking they have a good looking site and they neglect to go through and check if all the on-site optimization aspect are all taking care of.
My client’s have contacted me to help their site to be fully optimized because they didn’t bother to optimize it before launching the site. So main lesson here is not to launch a zero optimized rate site because you’ll end up going back and do it you have no choice but to do it from the start.
Things to Set-up/Create before going through the checklist:
- Create an Analytics and Webmaster Tools Account
- Create a dedicated Gmail Account in setting this up
- Secure the codes and make sure both are connected
- Create all social media accounts to be connected to the site.
WORDPRESS SITE CHECKLIST
- Make sure the title of the site reflects the business name and possible always grab a chance to insert keywords in a way that it is going to sound natural to the user and also search engines. You can insert keywords to the tagline if it’s not included in your business name.
- SETTINGS > General > Site Title
- Set-up permalinks to /%category%/%postname%/ for an optimal url structure
- Set-up the pagination settings to whatever you want (Static or Dynamic) I recommend to set a static page for blogging purposes.
- Implement the proper schema for each of your landing pages.
- Install Plugins:
- Configure Yoast
- Add Google Webmaster Tools and Analytics Code and Bing as well
- Set dates archives, tags and format taxonomies to No-index
- Add all social accounts that is given in the plugin.
- Exclude media, format and tags in the sitemap settings
- Set-up breadcrumbs that will affect your site’s snippets in SERPS. (Use webmaster tools A/B testing for this)
- Set your Google+ about us url in the author bio information for Google Authorship Verification and Snippet.
- Add and optimize all pages and content within the site and check the SEO Yoast on-page grader make sure it’s all green.
- Publish at-least three blog post in your blog for a good crawling and indexing of the site.
- Make sure that your contact page have the Google Map API and NAP information.
- Lastly make sure your design will attract your visitors to roam around your site.